Thursday 26 March 2015

Robot Party Fancy Dress Costume Ideas

This Sunday we attended Gray's 1st birthday party.

So during the week me and Scarlett had lots of fun digging around our recycling bin and creating a fancy dress costume for her and Millie.



Initially I had the idea of sending the kids as Wall-e and Eve but after spending quite a bit of time making Scarlett's Eve costume, she decided it wasn't girlie enough and refused to wear it. I was a bit pissed off to be honest but you can't force them to wear something they really don't want to without them being bloody miserable, and you're not supposed to be miserable at a birthday party. So I caved in and we made a new costume, together this time.

 Eve costume:

To make the Eve costume I bought a cheap bullet bin, 60l to fit Scarlett in and used a knife to cut out the bottom and arm holes. I then used coloured paper and double sided tape to add the details. The arms were cut out from cardboard and stuck on with clear tape. 
I also then lined the arm holes and leg holes with some scrap fabric filled with wadding and glued in place, this was to cover any sharp edges.

I stuck with the idea of putting Millie in a Wall-e costume and this is the result. 

Wall-e Costume


To make the Wall-e costume:
  • 1  large box
  • foil lid from take away box
  • 6 egg box
  • brown paper (this was actually from a parcel I'd received the day before)
  • 2 party cups
  • ribbon for the head band
  • yellow paint
  • black marker
  • piece of card
  • Sticky tape
Once you have found a large enough box, cut out a head, leg and arm holes. This one was to fit over my baby so I did leg holes at the front too so she could sit down comfortably.
Cover the box in brown paper. Paint yellow. 
Whilst the paint is drying cut diagonally across your egg pot so you have two triangle shapes for teh wheels. Wrap a strip of brown paper around the wheel to make tracks. Tape to the side of the dry box. Onto a foil take away box lid I used a black marker to add Wall-e details. I then added track marks, panel marks, dents and detail to the dry painted box which really bought it to life. 
For the eyes I cut out two circles of card and stuck them on the inside of the cups. I also added two strips of card to the top of the eyes to give the distinctive Wall-e brow. I finally glued the eyes to a length of ribbon so I could tie the eyes on Millie's head like a head band. See below photo.

Headband


Pink Robot Costume
(Scarlett's costume take 2)

This was a proper rummage in the recycling job. We used baby milk powder boxes for legs with some bubble wrap, a toy box with the clear window for the tummy, party cups and an old toy spring for the robot ears and lots of bottle tops ect for decoration. Lastly pink paint, lots of pink paint!



We had a great time at the party and Scarlett enjoyed posing for lots of photos with the birthday space boy. 

Happy Birthday Gray!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment